Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Santo Libre Extra SANTO !!

Refreshed, renewed, ready to go back on vacation already. The trip to the Dominican Republic was a great as can be. I spent a lot of time swimming around in resort pools, The Atlantic Ocean, and the Caribbean Sea. I went out deep sea fishing one day and watched as two of the other fisher people reeled in a six foot forty five pound Marlin. I also watched as Al from Cincinnati reeled in a Barracuda as long as my arm. I didn’t get a chance to reel anything in but I totally enjoyed my six hours of sitting on the boat drinking foreign beer and becoming friends with my fellow fisherman for the brief time we were out here. I visited a Cigar factory on one of the days and was blown away at the well-oiled machine that they had in place. I also was quite surprised by exactly how GREAT a extra cold Coca Cola can taste after smoking a freshly rolled cigar that was probably the size of my index finger and middle finger and twice as long. I don’t often smoke cigars and generally think people that do are pompous A-holes but hey we all know I’m a Pompous A-hole, so it is to be expected.
My favorite part of the trip was just being out in the sun with my wife and B.I.L. and S.I.L. Hanging with another couple on vacation showed me just how easy I have it; it made me realize that although it doesn’t always seem like it we are pretty decent communicators my wifey and I. We are also very easy going as far as what our vacation needs are. The food was ok; I ate pasta a lot, to the point where it became something that people knew exactly what I was going to eat. You see at resorts they provide so many kinds of food that have mass appeal. It’s almost like going to a weird version of Old Country Buffet. If you are in Mexico at a resort there is very little chance that you will find Mexican food, if you are in the Dominican Republic same deal. I did challenge myself a little bit though. I tried a little seafood. Nothing too crazy but I may have finally turned the corner with my anti-sea food rants. I’m still experimenting and taking child sized bites but I’m hoping to become a big kid and start eating seafood regularly. I hear it’s supposed to be healthy for you.
I also packed on a solid 8 pounds. The scale informed me that I am now back up to 195.6, before I left I was 187.6. I’m sure a lot of I is water, booze, and whatever else weight. But I’m back to being active. The bike ride in today was kind of a challenge. The mid day workout today will have me huffing and puffing,
In great news I am only here today and tomorrow. Thursday I’m at the Cubs game then Saturday and Sunday I will be in Pound Wisconsin at some sort of cabin outing, which should be interesting.
Then I’ll get back to the whining and ramblings y’all have come to expect from this silly fool.

1 comment: