Monday, May 2, 2011

You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel. So long, Dott.

I fell for it kids. The food truck of the day was a macaroni and cheese truck. So I am now imposing a new rule to my food purchases. No ordering something that I can make at home for $9.00 off a truck. This goes with the rule of not paying over $5.00 for a plain grilled cheese sandwich. I feel foolish having paid $9.00 for Mac and Cheese. Granted there was bacon, blue cheese and mushrooms in there but in all reality I can make that at home. Plus I was supposed to get back on track this week after partying it up all weekend. So, yeah I’m going to ignore the food trucks and eat the food I have from home for the rest of the week.
We finally bought our bicycles yesterday, brand new bicycles. It’s all very exciting and I thought they would never be bought. I dragged the Mrs. around town a little bit but we finally did it. I even bought new helmets and locks. I am a helmet nerd because I always crash. In fact like two summers ago I as riding down North Avenue near Halstead when I flipped over my handlebars and skid like 3 feet on my helmet and tore the shit out of my springtime coat I was wearing. If I had not been wearing the helmet that day I swear to you I would be walking and talking funny today and my face and head would have been pretty disfigured. I also crash a lot so a helmet is a great idea. I’m glad I was convinced/pushed into purchasing the thing. I will not ride a bicycle without one on purpose now. So yeah it will be exciting to start riding the new bike around town, especially since I totally popped my back tire on the old bike Saturday morning narrowly avoiding a pot holed induced harmful crash that would have seriously changed my whole Saturday had I actually wiped out.
Which leads me to the streets of Chicago. These streets are jacked up bad. I understand we had a snowstorm and the plows dig holes, and the expanding and contracting leads to holes but the streets are not safe to ride right now. How is it that all the damage is in the bike lanes? It leads to some creative riding for sure and a whole lot of honking from angry drivers behind me, side by side with me, or right on my back tire. What does the person driving the car think is going to happen when I get scared and fall off my bike? Well I’ll most likely fall in front of a car and get splattered. I guess I am not very happy about this. I understand there are cyclists out there that ride like a-holes but please be gentle on me. Don’t let the 1 or 2 percent of wannabe bike messenger hipster dufus freaks lead you to believe it is ok to harass the commuter cyclist. Pretend that the person on the bike that you are mad at is someone you like a relative, a co-worker, your secret crush, your not so secret crush, your husband, your wife, and your girlfriend, Y’know whoever you need it to be. Also and I know I don’t need to say this, but DO NOT JOKE ABOUT DOORING a bicyclist. It’s not funny and it is a serious problem. Plus I’m scared shitless someone is going to do it to me. Plus if my wife starts riding to work I will be even more scared of all the jerks out there. My stress level is high enough don’t put my beautiful wife in danger.
(stepping off soap box)
So anything interesting happen this weekend? I got some sun while waiting in line to check out a local brewery. Didn’t make it in but my skin still feels warm. I didn't mamake it into the tour due to my bicycle mishap which lead to me getting in line late  Well end of page is near. Be good out there; be nice to the two wheelers. It could be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment