Monday, August 22, 2011

ride at night, ride through heaven and hell

This is definitely going to be an interesting experience. Within our first full 24 hours of living on the Southside we went exploring to find this fest that one of Flaca’s co-workers had told her about. For the very first time ever in my life I was on the Southeast side of Chicago. Not only where streets are numbers but also where the Avenues are letters. We went to a festival in a parking lot of a church. It was very interesting but only interesting enough for us to split an elephant ear and then get the heck out of there. It was exciting to see a neighborhood that I never knew existed and I’m pretty sure I will never be over there again. I guess that area is the South shore right before you get to Indiana. I guess there used to be steel plants and stuff like that over there. It seems like a neighborhood that you can shoot movies in with no permits.

We spent the early part of Sunday trying to figure out where we could potentially join a gym on the Southside. I’m really not sure how this is going to pan out. It seems like walking and biking around this side of town is not the best of options. I’m thinking I may pick up running again which will definitely help me learn the neighborhood and see what is around there. I miss the north side already and I can tell Flaca does too. But we will suck it up so that as the snow thaws we will move back where we belong back north ideally into our very own house.

This morning’s commute was ok but I’m already dreading when the temperatures drop and that mean winter wind is smacking me in the face. Flaca’s mom was a good guide this morning, giving us all the details on how things work I may have also mentioned before that she is THE nicest person I have ever met in my life and her positive energy may be what I need to make it through the winter. I am not going to like this commute at all and already miss riding my bike. I’m hoping I don’t get all-fat a doughy on this little stay.

The move went easy, and I thank Flaca for putting a good spin on it. I’ll explain. As we were finishing loading the truck with the last of our stuff the skies got crazy dark and all of the sudden it poured. As we hopped in the truck I made a comment about how we are being chased out of the north by the nasty weather. But Flaca looked at me and said no the Northside is crying/mourning that we are going. She’s good kid; she has the skill to keep me from getting too blue. Hopefully I can keep her in good spirits as well.

Oh but in good/dangerous news there is a Portillos within a ten minute or maybe I should see how long it would take to bike over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment