Tuesday, April 26, 2011

If the guy I was then met the guy I am now he'd beat the shit out of me. Those are the facts.

There are two scenes from movies that I really like that stick out in my mind as well performed pieces. One is the scene from the movie SLC Punk. If you have not seen this movie then read no further because this is a spoiler alert. The scene I’m talking about is when Stev-o comes down to wake up Heroin Bob the day after the party when HB OD’s. This scene gets me every time because I can feel the pain that comes over Stev-O as he realizes that his friend is dead. It’s brief but cool. You watch him go from his every day waking him up routine to realizing that his friend that never did any drug harder than alcohol is dead of a drug overdose. The height of emotion that he reaches in that 30 seconds is great, as he is crouched over his friend crying his eyes out, the nasty snot running out of his nose and off his face, the point where he finally yells out “who’s going to be my friend NOW” that pure sense of loss, being utterly alone, it gets me every time I see it. It also makes me respect Matthew Lillard just a little bit, if only for how good he was in that movie.
The second movie is a little more popular, and there are actually two scenes that when looked at in combination really stand out. Two parts of this movie I love is when the two main friends are talking. There’s a point where Will and Chuckie are talking and Chuckie says that thing about how they are best friends and all but if in twenty years Will is still living here coming to his house, working construction, that he will F’n kill him. He backs it up saying it is not a threat he will kill him. That back and forth they have is golden. He also tells him a short story of how every day he pulls up to his house and there is that brief moment when he walks from his car to Will front door where he hopes today is the day he won’t be there. Well as we all know how the movie ends Chuckie walks up to the front door and looks in the window and he can tell that Will is gone. The look that registers on his face is probably some of the best acting that Ben has ever done. Great stuff. I actually like the whole story of that movie. I like even the back-story that Matt and Ben wrote it together, shopped it and then went on to star in it. Their ability to do that had me chasing that same dream with my friends for years.
I’m not done chasing that dream by the way. I’m just on a brief sabbatical. Sometimes you got to work a real job for an extended time.
Who knows maybe by doing this I’ll get better at writing. Yeah I doubt it too.
Stay dry out there kids and be nice to the idiots that ride our bikes even though it’s raining, I may seem foolish out there but I’m also happier than you.
Fact

No comments:

Post a Comment