Wednesday, April 6, 2011

veronica's definition of love is hate

The night that I met my wife it was a celebration. The film company that I worked with was having a premier party at a bar that I have spent a good amount of my life in. The premiere was going to take place the next day at the Three Penny Movie Theater and we were pre-selling tickets. The idea being that if our drunken fans bought tickets from us the night before and were either too hung over or overslept the next day and missed the screening we would at least have collected the donation toward the cause. The night was hectic to say the least. I paid my money for our party package and promptly started drinking PBR like it was going out of style, add a few shots here and there and I’m sure I was in rare form when I was introduced to this girl. She was a friend of the girl my roommate at the time was dating. When he told me she had invited some of her friends to the event I shrugged it off, if here friends looked anything like her then I wanted nothing to do with them.
I will say that when she walked in she totally didn’t look like she was in the right place, she was over dressed and super beautiful. I used the bump and roll technique, stop and ask her if she needed a drink roll away and go and socialize. Each time I saw another chump talk to her I’d walk up C-Block whoever it was then walk away. You never want to seem over interested. At some point the booze clouds my mind but I remember getting into a “stay away from her” “conversation” with one of the other filmmakers. He was always funny than I was and he sometimes had an uncanny ability to have girls laughing and swooning for him at weird times. Somehow I got her phone number, I spelled her name wrong because I thought it was super funny to make her name sound a little more ethnic. (it wasn’t funny a all) Somehow she slipped away into the night with promises of meeting up with everyone at Carol’s Pub. She never did. The next day as I woke up I scramble for my phone. The panic of had I called her rushed through my veins, I looked at my phone and saw one call placed at a late hour. I calmed myself down and started getting ready for the premier. She was going to be there, I remembered making her promise in that way that drunks MAKE you promise by repeating asking about it until the person escapes. So I knew I had to shake the whiskey and cheap beer hangover off, plus I had to be ready for a full day of screening our masterpiece at 3 penny. We were showing it twice. She didn’t make the first screening, not many people did. But the second screening was packed. She didn’t make that one either, I figured she had seen how much of a maniac I was and had decided the easy out. I erased her number from my phone. Later while eating burritos with a small group of friends my phone rang. I didn’t know the phone number; I decided to answer it anyway. To my surprise it was the girl, she was to hung over and tired to show up and was surprised that I had made it. During this conversation she explained that as I walked her out I made her promise to come the next day or I’d be mad. She also explained that I had called her 65 times…in a row. Sometimes leaving weird messages and somewhere in there telling her I thought she was amazing. We didn’t know when we would see each other again my brother was getting married the following week and then there would be the Southside Irish parade. We agreed that maybe we would meet up then but we would definitely talk again soon. That night I wrote her number down and hid it in my wallet. I was drinking and didn’t want to call her that night…. I didn’t either. There’s a whole lot more to tell in this story. Mostly boring and cheesy but kind of cool at parts I guess this is my version of that how I met my baby’s mama. We are not expecting children at this point. I’m wondering today if when we do decide to make a child if my swimmers will still be active. But that’s a totally different post. Now I need to get back to work. I’m a slow typer so this took a lot of time. This version of the story is as I remember it she may remember it differently but this is my secret blog so I get to tell of our relationship as I recall it.




1 comment: