Friday, April 22, 2011

put the needle on the record

I have always been obsessed with music. One of my favorite memories of growing up is spending afternoons listening to my ma’s 45’s on the old record player in the dining room in the house I grew up in. It was something fun to do on days when it was too rainy to go and spend all day outside running and playing to exhaustion. I would sit there playing DJ for myself all day long realizing that the music I was listening to was from years before I was born. I actually thought it as brand new music. All of those songs from the 50’s 60’s and 70’s were so freaking awesome. I still love flipping to the oldies station on days when life is kind of crappy and a smile spreads across my face when I realize that I’m singing along in the high pitch voice to “walk like a man” by the Four Seasons or was it Frankie Valli.
Later in life I was tortured by my dad’s LOVE of country music, well temporarily tortured by it. After hanging with him long enough I started to love it. Who could not get behind the Oakridge Boys singing about “Elvira’ or Kenny Roger singing “the Gambler” or even David Allen Cole singing “you never even call me by my name” Years later I would go to a bar that had both country and western music and this song would drive the people insane with happiness singing along.
Shortly and rather briefly I was influence by my older brother’s love for heavy metal with just a creepy enough dash of the glam metal that freaked me out but also lured me with the talks of how Twisted Sister “was not going to take it” and Metallica was still rocking out.
I tried to branch out on my own for a while and found and experimented with what I think or maybe thought was rap. Too Live Crew being nasty as they wanted to be and Bell, Biv and Devo warning me of a girl being Poison Poison and to never trust a big butt and a smile and of course the overweight Lover Heavy D.
From there as I talk about all the time I started listen to what I refer to as punk. So you know how that goes. My music taste is still evolving I guess. I still love many kinds of music but now some of the bands that I used to like a lot I now can’t stand. For example I can’t listen to Dave Matthews Band anymore. For the longest time I thought they were great. If you were flipping through my case logic you would be surprised to suddenly come across DMB section. I don’t recall how I ever started to listen to them but they annoy the crap out of me now.
Well due to rambling I never got to my point and that was as obsesses as I have always been with music I always wish I would’ve learned to play an instrument. I think that would have been cool. But I have no coordination and the attention span of a goldfish.
Got to get back to work. Enjoy your weekend, eats lots of candy.
Oh and be nice to the earth. It’s her day.

No comments:

Post a Comment