Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I like food, food tastes good ! I like food, food tastes good!

I’m dragging ass in my post-extended weekend holiday celebrations. Friday was kind of a bust since all of my adventures fell through. The Mrs. and me did our usual Friday date night and walked over to my favorite Jewels in Chicago over on Ashland right off of Lincoln. Saturday I ended up spending money like I was some kind of rich man, but I saw this happening even as I keyed in the amount I was taking out “for the weekend” The game was pretty awesome. I ate and drank way too much and totally loved every single minute of it. It might have been a lot more fun if I went with my brother but it could have also been a LOT more expensive. The real exciting thing happened when I finally made it out to the Naperville Rib Fest on Sunday.
A person recruiting to take part in a food eating challenge ala Man Vs. Food approached not two minutes after I walked in my little group. I eagerly agreed to sign up and was told come back in twenty minutes to take part. With butterflies in my stomach I walked around pretending to care what everybody else was talking about. I was afraid to eat anything because the challenge I was going to take part in involved eating three extremely hot wings in 60 seconds and then waiting another 60 seconds until being able to drink the milk provided. As I took the stage in the center of three seats I started trying to get in the zone, my cheering section started immediately and I prepared myself not to let these kids down. The plate was put in front of me and I was ready to take this on this challenge with the prize of a free shirt to anyone who could beat the challenge. I took down the first wing really fast, I realized I was going to have to slow it down or have to deal with sitting for longer than 60 seconds without drinking the milk. I finished with a little time to spare and was surprised that I was not totally dying of the fire. But as I sat there I felt the inferno start to build. I totally won the shirt and the respect of my crowd, after I finished I signed up to be on an episode of Man vs. Food Nation next time they roll through good ole Chicago. They said I should know by the end of July beginning of August. Let’s just say that this little fat boy is anxious hoping that my little video audition that I did is good enough to impress the peeps over at Food Network and maybe even good ole Adam Richman himself. A fat boy can dream right.
The T-shirt is nice and I gorged myself with way too many rib options through the rest of the day. On Monday I got in a good amount of swim time at the in-laws place before heading out to take in the fireworks. I felt bad for the people I was hanging out with because I was rocking the free shirt non-verbally begging people to ask me about it. No one did and my little posse was stuck listen to me say 1000X wouldn’t it be cool if I get called/e-mailed.  Yesterday I chilled at home and left the condo only to price storage facilities to hide my treasurers in while we take up residency over on the south side. Oh and I did my first attempt at BBQing ever, see I’m usually just an observer when it comes to grilling. My first outing as far as I can tell was a success but can you really do anything wrong when grilling chicken? Hopefully I’ll start grilling more and maybe earn myself a man card.
Well I need to get back to work; at least we are almost at the weekend again. Have fun out there kids; play nice, or not nice.
Next week back on track with healthy-ish eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment