Wednesday, July 13, 2011

She gave me coffee and tortillas to console my head

Ninety percent of the time when I am out with my wife and we are going to check out, ask a question, or do whatever people never put together that we are with each other. If we are standing at the deli and the person takes her number and she starts ordering our luncheon meats it is a guarantee that the person will turn to me and say what do you need sir, to which I reply I’m with her and they kind of look surprised shrug and move on to the next person. About ninety two percent of the time this happens when we are going to check out anywhere. I am always being offered the little plastic bar to separate our orders. I find this very interesting to be completely honest. I’m hoping it’s because they think what is this hot chick doing with this hairy balding fat freak show not some kind of weird what’s that Mexican chick doing with that Guero. I know we are not living in the twenties so it must be just because we don’t walk around with our hands in each other’s back pocket.
This issue becomes more of an occurrence in the summer when she gets darker. You see in the winter somehow she gets pale-ish and is able to start pulling off being different ethnicities. Another think that happens that I have NEVER ever seen happen is people will stop her and ask her “What are you?” they guess Greek, Italian, almost anything except Mexican. It’s strange and each time she politely smiles and tells them she is Mexican. UNLESS we are traveling into Spanish speaking territory then she claims not to know Spanish and she becomes my very own spy. This is usually pretty fun and she entertains me for hours letting me in on the jokes that are being told all around us. I still need to learn how to speak some conversational Spanish because when we visit her grandma some people have to listen to the same stories twice. Depending on who is telling the story, her grandma or I always have to wait to laugh at the thing that everyone was laughing at two minutes ago. The Spanish I learned in high school limits any meaningful conversation I could ever have.
If we ever happen to have kinds I wonder what they would have to claim. Would they be Caucasian-Other or do they claim the Caucasian/Mexican? This is obviously not something we will have to worry about for a while but lately I have been wondering about what our imaginary little maniacs might be like. Mostly because my siblings have been producing kids at a fairly good clip. They are already on kid # 2 and we are moving into her parent’s house.
I guess thoughts of little mes and little hers is scary enough. That would be a whole lot of crazy and energy bundle into one being.
YIKES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment