Thursday, July 21, 2011

no no no na na no Johnny Oh No

The day has been speeding by so fast. I have to keep it short today but I figured I’d share a little nonsense with you and then get back to trying to knock out all this work. There is this bar on Lincoln that has a Hamm’s Beer Sign hanging outside. This bar was always a mystery to me. For years I would walk by this place while out and about with one of my drinking buddies debating whether it was open or not and if it was in fact every open then we would definitely have to go in there and have a few drinks. This bar stands out in Chicago because I think it may be the only bar in Chicago that has Hamm’s sign hanging in front of it, as you know most Chicago bars that have the beer sign are Old Style signs at least in the neighborhood where I grew up in and around. In fact as a kid I thought all bars were called Old Style –packaged goods, no joke. The name of the Hamm’s bar is actually Johnnie’s Lounge. A few years ago I finally made my way into that bar and it was one of the most awesome times ever. So many nights after I learned of how you actually get into that bar I would try to bring everyone I knew there. I LOVED it there; it was always a good time. There was not one thing I would change about the place. The old guy Johnnie was the only person working the bar. I was impressed with the way he would shuffle back and forth slinging beers and pouring drinks it was quite impressive. Although I grew up in a bar down the street Johnnies quickly became my favorite bar in Chicago. In fact it was in this bar that I first told my wife that I was in love with her and I would do anything to be hired by her company. (That will have to be explained later)

Well Johnnie has been dead for a while now and the bar sits empty. I ride passed it everyday sometimes twice a day. If I’m out for a walk I always stop and look into the windows like someone is going to be in they’re waiting to buzz me into my old favorite bar in Chicago. But it will never happen in fact I fear that someone will by it and make it into a Pub or weirdo place where the waitresses are dressed all slutted up and the beer special is not that special at all. I sure hope that doesn’t happen, I’m guessing they’ll eventually tear it down and build some crazy condo there. It seems to be happening more and more over there.
But lately sometimes I daydream of buying that bar, I would keep it tap free. I dream of selling beers made in and around Chicago with maybe some of the big leaguers in there and of course the classis Old Style, Schlitz and of course Hamm’s. I would work the bar and maybe the wifey. It is a daydream that makes cube Ville tolerable. I’m also guessing it is a dream that almost every man has ever had. I have a concept I just wonder if I would have the funds and business management skills. That would be sweet just a beer and shot kind of place where all people are welcome as long as they ring the buzzer.
Maybe if my other daydream of finding a sack of money ever comes true I cam pull off this scheme.
Well back to the grind, Your pleasant thought of the week can be me working my little bar selling local beverages at a reasonable rate.


No comments:

Post a Comment