Thursday, July 7, 2011

Sure I like your smile And I'd like to talk awhile Butt....

The second time I met my wife I was not operating on all cylinders. It was the day following my brothers wedding. The whole weekend starting on Thursday had been a blur. By the time Sunday rolled around I wasn’t sure that I would be able to stomach a full day of stumbling around the South Side Irish Parade. After some encouragement from my then roommate and a few morning beers I was feeling a little better and I figured what’s the worst that could happen. I arrived on the south side and followed my roommate and another group of people up to this house where the beer was flowing like wine. During this time Irish Car Bombs and shot gunning beers was a common occurrence for me. Soon my hangover was gone and it was replaced with drunken optimism, not even the chill that was in the air was causing me any trouble. I stumble around puffing away on my cigarettes talking with anyone who fell into the trap of being in my eyesight and vocal range.
Then she walked in, and I swear to god she looked even more gorgeous in her little green Puma jacket than she had the last time I saw her all over dressed for the film company bar bash we had originally met at. I almost immediately started following her around like a lost puppy dog. I was not able to play it quite as cool as I had the first night, being that my only “friend” around was my crazy ass roommate. At some point I heard her saying she was cold and offered her my Oversized super awesome Fat Wreck Chords Hoodie that I was wearing. Seriously that ratty ass hoodie had never looked better that when she slipped it on. A little later one of her “friends” made some comment that hurt her feelings enough for her to cry a little, you know one of those alchol cries that usually dry up quickly. She gave me back my coat and I finally talked to her for a bit. Just as our conversation was getting good my roommate demanded that I go with him to get more beer. Being the sucker I was I left for a very long time, eventually we met back up with their group. My roommate and the girl he was with that brought us there were not really talking at this time. My roommate kept trying to get me to leave but I refused, I stayed perched on a corner sipping beers waiting for this girl to come back out.
When she finally came out with the other girl in tow we all headed back to my roommates car to head back to the north side. I was a lot of drunk and was barely able to talk. When we got back to the north side I almost just went to bed and fell asleep, which probably would have been a good idea. Instead I met up with them at another bar, and then followed them to another. There is some crazy story about me eating hot peppers and no reacting at all. Then I just took off. (Part of the tape is missing here)
Then I was by the brown line and this girl who I was so smitten by was leaving. She wasn’t impressed by my drunken antics and felt I had acted like a fool most of the day. She walked up the steps to the train to head back to where she was from. I ran up the stairs (not sure if I paid the fair) and blurted out “This is not how today was suppose to be” But it really came out “Today not spozzabeel” I shook my head looked at her and asked if I had totally blown it. The way I remember it is she said not yet, but maybe you should give me a call so I can see what you are really like and the quote “ because I don’t think you are like this” maybe not a direct quote I had been drinking all day. That was the day I fell for her. Three times. Once when she was beautiful wearing my hoodie, then crying, then smiling and being all hot. Then looking at me and calling me out on my shit. I stumbled home and fell asleep. The next week was full of those marathon phone conversations that only seem to happen in the beginning of a relationship when you have super powers and need no sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment