Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cause I drive a white van

In the nineties I had one of the most fun jobs I have had in my entire life, and this may not be too much of a surprise but I have had many jobs. For quite a few years I worked delivering groceries for various stores. But at one point I had what my group of Groc Boy crew called the gravy route. It would eventually become the mash potato AND gravy route. I worked for this nice grocery store in Lakeview. It was a sweet job. It was a job that I could wake up in the morning with two dollars in my pocket and have plenty of money to enjoy a rock and rolling evening. Most of my friends worked for other stores so we would often run into each other throughout the day. In the summer time it would be crazy awesome and all work from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm or a little later depending on how busy/lazy people were at the grocery store. I learned a lot about people during that time, stepping into their lives for a few minutes to drop of the food. Of course the more money people made the less they tipped. We would always bet on the tip. There were some notorious people who never tipped, and sometimes there were old ladies that offered you hot chocolate on 100 degree days and a cold pop in the middle of winter along with a quarter or two if you got it there fast. I worked as a grocery boy for many years until I had a falling out with one of my bosses. It was one of the only jobs I was able to look my boss in the face and tell him to F- off and go back home and go to sleep. Shortly after leaving the job I started my corporate life.
Sometimes I look back at my carefree days of a delivery driver and think of how much fun it was. But in my head and back I realize how sad it would have been if I stayed a grocery delivery guy. I’m glad it didn’t work out, I’m positive my life would definitely have went in a different direction if I stayed at the other place another month. One of these days I’ll have to write more about those crazy days. But right now I’m heading to the gym for some interval training.
Remember to TIP when tipping is called for.

No comments:

Post a Comment