Monday, June 27, 2011

said she'd do it all again, she'd promise not to tell!

Growing up my old man gave me a little piece of advice that at the time seemed kind of cryptic and very negative. I can’t tell you how many times he would tell me make as many friends as you can because when you are an adult you will have two you can rely on if you are lucky. Lately I can see that he was right and his Old Style fueled words were dead on. I have many acquaintances and people I’m friendly with, but there are a select few that when the shit goes down I can call out of no where and just talk to. There are a few that I can call at 2:00 am and just chat because I need to get stuff off my chest. They have an ability to understand that I am a drama queen and just need to slow down and talk about the issue at hand. These are the friends that I can reach out to and say I need this NOW and they will do whatever they can to make it happen. I am lucky I have four people and I am going to make more of an effort to let them know that I appreciate them.
Now that paragraph may have lead you to believe that I went crazy on the boat cruise with work people. In a surprise turn of events I showed self-control. I didn’t fall into the traps of people wanting to do shots. I ate the decent meal that was provided and didn’t rush to get my fill of other free booze that was being offered. I kept it to a couple of drinks when we came back in from touring around Lake Michigan. I even stuck to my guns and went home as people tried to get me to stay for “ONE MORE DRINK” I made it home with just a slight buzz and explained to my wife that I still wanted to go out for a while. We decided we were going to go and meet up with one of my work peeps for dinner and then go check out this event at a bar up in Andersonville. To start our Friday adventure we each tried some of this Buffalo Trace Bourbon I bought at this Whiskey/Bourbon tasting we went to a while back.
The night moved a long ok. I kept myself in check but I guess I wasn’t paying attention and in a wild twist my wifey got super hammer headed. It was a twist to see what most people have to deal with normally when I’m drunk. I will not shame her too much here but lets just say that I now know that true love is not always about all the cutesy crap and cards. Sometimes it is cleaning up vomit and holding hair and even getting thrown up on. The poor girl suffered through all Saturday the highlight being the family wedding Saturday, I feel bad but It was pretty weird to see her walk around in my shoes all day just praying to be back home where she could sleep it off.
I want to thank my Jiminy Cricket Consigliere who talked me down in the middle of all the craziness. You are a great person and I owe you a shot and a few beers. Your consiglio was just what I needed.
Oh and I didn’t even get hammered at the family wedding in Rockford. I must really be getting soft in my old age.
Be good out there kids. Tell your friends you love them. You can tell them when you’re drunk or sober. Just make sure they know how important they are.
Love ya’ll. XO OX

No comments:

Post a Comment