Wednesday, June 15, 2011

no more flippin' burgers puttin' on my silly hat

I never in a million years imagined myself working in an office. When I was a shorty coming up on the northwest side of Chicago all I ever wanted to do was perform. I never wanted to be a firefighter, policeman, lawyer or professional sports player. I always wanted to perform/entertain. But even as a kid I was lazy and not really motivated to chase after what I wanted. The first thing I remember wanting to be was an artist, I never really figured out what kind of artist but eventually I outgrew that when I realized even my stick figures were horrible. I believe the next thing I wanted to be was a drummer and I was all about it. It seemed like the perfect instrument for a kid with crazy amounts of energy on his hands. But I never even tried to ask my parents about lessons. So that dream went out the window. For the LONGEST time I wanted to be a comedian, I thought I was a funny little turd and the job seemed to have no training requirements. I would study comedy routines and repeat them word for world to anyone who would listen. Then one day I had to do a demonstration in front of my school, I decided I would do a demonstration on how to be funny. I will not go into too much detail but I bombed so badly, bad enough that I swore to myself I would never put myself in that position again.
Then there were a bunch of years where I had no clue what I wanted to be, until I somehow landed the lead in a high school play. From then on I was convinced I would become an actor. I chased that dream for years, but until recently I never realized how lazily I chased it, I found ways to not attain my dreams. I did accomplish a few cool things in my quest for success. I owned, operated and put on ONE successful theater production, which being the arrogant person I am I put myself in the lead role. The company failed after two other tries and I gave up on it. This was during the grocery days; somewhere in here I landed my first office job somehow. My very first supervisor was a cool dude, he told me he knew I would be successful I just needed to treat my office job like I was playing a role. Somewhere in here I was part of a film company, which was pretty cool, we even put out a lot of shorts and a features. But eventually people grew out of it. Starting your own film company is VERY expensive, especially when all of your work meetings take place in bars. But I am proud of that film company. It provided me with some excellent adventures and through one promotion event I even met the woman I would eventually marry. Luckily for me she was not an actress. You know cause actresses are FREAKING CRAZIES.
Well I need to get back to Cubevill. TPS reports are calling. I still have 2-3 weeks until I see if I move into the next phase for my future job I’m trying to get. Then only five more steps after that where I can be disqualified at any time. That translates to at least six to seven more months here. Awesome (dripping in sarcasm)
Maybe one day the film company will be resurrected. If I stop being so lazy

No comments:

Post a Comment